Subscribe to our newsletter. Plus, get access to the latest and greatest content from BuzzAura.
That was a terrible experience...
I love blonde hair but my hair color is dark brown. So I went to a hair salon for a nice shade of blonde. A few days later, it ended up turning a brassy orange instead. OMG! This has happened to more than a few of us, I believe, and it is absolutely one of the most frustrating things on the planet.
However, you should know that there are several ways to fix your brassy orange hair color by yourself. Today, I’m going to share with you different methods of fixing your brassy orange hair color at home.
A toner adds cool tones to your hair to neutralize color and helps you get rid of the brassy orange tones. After you bleach your hair, use a hair toner combined with peroxide to lighten your hair.
The best way to neutralize your hair color is to use colors opposite of each other on the color chart (as displayed).
If your hair has more orange tones than yellow, choose a blue toning shampoo; if your hair has more yellow tones than orange, choose a purple toning shampoo.
• Prepare a good toner for your hair, an applicator brush, a plastic bowl, and a volume 10 or 20 developer.
• Mix the toner with the developer in a 1:2 ratio.
• Apply the mixture to your hair with the applicator brush.
• Leave the mixture on for no more than 45 minutes.
• Rinse with a sulfate-free shampoo.
Another good method is use a medium ash blonde hair dye to change your brassy orange hair to a perfect light brown.The ash blonde dye wouldn’t lighten your hair too much, thus leaving your hair a wonderful light brown shade.
• Buy a lighter ash blonde hair dye.
• Follow the instructions and apply it to your hair.
• Leave it on your hair for the recommended amount of time and rinse. Use a conditioner.
If you want to fix your brassy orange hair to blonde, the best way is to re-bleach your hair for it to have yellow tones, which are much easier to neutralize. When you reach yellow tones, you can leave the hair like that or use an ash blonde box dye.
This was what I did, and it worked well on my hair.
• Prepare a good bleaching powder, a 30 volume developer and an ash blonde box dye.
• Mix the bleaching powder and developer in a 1:2 ratio.
• Apply the mixture to your hair and leave it on your hair for 30 minutes.
• Wash your hair with an organic shampoo.
• Wait for at least two days before using the box dye.
• Use the ash blonde box dye to neutralize your yellow tone hair.
Also, I have prepared a video about how to fix your orange hair with toner or box dye:
If you don’t like toner, box dye or developer, try some natural ingredients. Here are two DIY methods you can choose.
Prepare 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, 1 ounce of hollyhock herbs, and 1 cup of water.
• Boil some water. Add the hollyhock herbs and apple cider vinegar to the water.
• Heat the mixture until it becomes thickened. Leave it to cool.
• Massage your hair with the mixture. Leave it on your hair for 10 minutes.
• Rinse off with a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner.
Prepare a few drops of blue or purple liquid food color, 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil, and 1 cup of water.
• Apply the coconut oil to your hair before you go to bed.
• Mix the rest of the ingredients.
• When you wake up in the morning, wash your hair. Then apply the mixture you made last night to your hair.
• Repeat this process every two weeks.
These are all the best methods for fixing brassy orange hair. Choose one for yourself and get back your gorgeous brass-free hair.